This is another type of seed that we have been consuming since we came across with it a few years ago. We were really impressed when we learned that it contains really high levels of Omega-3.
Health benefits of chia seeds:
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helpful in
- Reduces pain and inflammation (helps with arthritis as these seeds help lubricating joints)
- Helps stabilising blood sugar
- Boosts metabolism and promotes lean muscle mass
- Helps cleansing the colon, absorbs toxins
- Contains 20% protein
- Provides high levels of antioxidants
- They absorb large amounts of water and are good at hydrating our bodies
- Has essential fatty acids (Omega-3 and Omega-6. They help to improve brain function including memory and concentration), fiber, iron, calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
How to use:
You can sprinkle chia seeds on your yoghurt, cereal, or salads. It is possible to use them in sandwiches. They can also be added into smoothies or soaked in drinking water. I personally don't enjoy it soaked in water as it becomes jelly like and I don't quite enjoy that particular texture but we are happy to include it in many types of our foods as a family. They don't really have a distinct taste or smell.
Have a healthy day!